Maybe you are wondering why we are putting all this effort into building a modern hospital in the Peruvian Andes?

Saturday afternoon, two little boys knock on our door. “Please help our mom, she is very sick.” Together with the kids, I drive up mountain – it’s not an easy road. Soon we stop in front of an adobe house and knock on the door. Seconds later I am sitting on the bed of a middle-aged Quechua woman. Her left eye is swollen shut, and she is obviously not doing very well.

“How long have you been dealing with this swelling?” I ask her. “For the past 6 months, sometimes there is puss, and for the past two days it has been especially bad and I have horrible headaches.” “Why don’t you go to the local health clinic?” “They can’t help us anyway, and we can’t afford the drive to Cusco or Abancay. And the treatment in the hospital there would be too expensive too. They charge 20 soles (app. $6) for a consultation.”

Shocked, I step out of the dark house into the bright sunlight. At the moment I can’t do much more than buy some medication for her in the local pharmacy. But that’s not the solution to the problem.

“I wish the hospital was finished.” I am thinking. “It would be so easy to treat this mother.”

About 60% of the construction is finished. Would you like to be support us in the constructing the remaining 40%? It would be worth it for Señora Sonia Catalan Samarra and thousands of other Quechua Indians.

Click to access the login or register cheese